Betts, Burr, Burritt,
Gorham, Gray, Griffin,
Hall, Hawley, Heron,
Hill, Hull, Jackson,
Lee, Lord, Lyon,
Platt, Read, Rogers,
Gravestones of Redding
appearing on a 1867 Beers Map of Redding, CT
is available at the Mark Twain Library
Barbour Collection of Connecticut Town Vital Records.
Volume 36: Portland (1841-1850), Prospect (1827-1853),
Redding (1767-1852), and Ridgefield (1709-1850)
Adams removed when a young man from Boston to Fairfield, and
married, soon after, Joanna Disbrow, of Fairfield.
About 1760 he removed to Redding, and settled in Lonetown,
on the farm now(1880) owned by his grandson Stephen.
His children were: Stephen, baptized August 15, 1762. Hezekiah,
baptized September 30, 1764. Ellen, baptized November 10,
1765. Abigail, baptized March 6, 1768. Joseph, baptized April
28, 1771. Israel, baptized January 10, 1773. Aaron, baptized
July 16, 1775. Nathan, baptized September 6, 1778.
these children, Stephen enlisted in the Continental Army and
never returned. Hezekiah married Betty Parsons, and had children:
Betsey, who married John Grey, and settled in Norwalk; Stephen,
now(1880) living in Redding, at the age of eighty-nine; Lemuel,
now(1880) living in Redding, aged eighty-six; Aaron, who removed
to the West; and Elinor, who married Hawley Judd. It is related
of Hezekiah Adams, that, too young to enlist as a soldier
in the Revolutionary Army, he entered the service as a teamster,
and on one occasion drove a wagon, loaded with Spanish milled
dollars, to Baltimore.
Adams, brother of Joseph, was contemporary with him in Redding.
His wife was Sarah. Their children were: Ann, baptized March
6, 1768. Deborah, baptized April 28, 1771. Sarah, baptized
July 31, 1774; died in infancy. Sarah, baptized October 20,
1776. Eli, baptized January 30, 1780. Family record mentions
a son Abraham.
Banks, son of Joseph Banks, of Fairfield, removed to Redding
at an early day; married, June 11, 1763, Mabel Wheeler (town
record says Mehitable Wheeler). Their children were: Hyatt,
born December 9, 1764. Jesse, born October 29, 1766. Joanna,
born July 27, 1768. Mabel, born October 2, 1772; died in infancy.
Mary, born June 23, 1774. Mabel, born November 17, 1776.
married, December 15, 1787, Martha Summers. Mabel married
Ebenezer Foot, August 29, 1797. Seth Banks also appears in
Redding contemporary with Jesse; married Sarah Pickett, November
20, 1766, and had children: Mehitable, born January 15, 1768,
and Thomas; and perhaps others.
Barlow family in Redding is descended from John Barlow, who
appears in Fairfield as early as 1668, and died in 1674. Samuel
Barlow, son of Samuel Barlow, of Fairfield, grandson of John
Barlow, he a son of the first settler of that name, removed
to Redding about 1740, and settled in what is now Boston District,
near the present residence of Bradley Hill (to the right of
Dorethy Road before Wayside Lane if you are coming from Georgetown
married, first, Eunice, daughter of Daniel Bradley, of Fairfield,
August 2, 1731. Their children were: Daniel, born November
24, 1734. Ruhamah, born January 22, 1737. James, born January
29, 1739. Jabez, born March 21, 1742.
the death of his first wife, Samuel Barlow married Esther,
daughter of Nathaniel Hull, of Redding, August 7, 1744. She
died August 28, 1775, aged fifty-four years. Their children
were: Nathaniel, born May 13, 1745. Aaron, born February 11,
1750. Joel, the poet, born March 24, 1754. Huldah, birth date
Samuel Barlow purchased his farm of James Bradley for L 2500.
It consisted of 170 acres, with "buildings thereon",
and was bounded on the north by the first cross highway from
the rear of the long lots-without a doubt the road before
mentioned leading from Boston District through the centre
to Redding Ridge. "This northern boundary," says
Mr. Hill, "together with the familiar names of the old
owners of property on the other side of the farm, and also
the names of such familiar localities on the farm as "the
boggs", and the "flat ridge", and the "up
and down", leading to each from the main road, mark this
farm purchased by Samuel Barlow as being unmistakably the
present property of Bradley Hill, and the heirs of Gershom
was on it at the time a good substantial dwelling house of
respectable, erected by a previous owner, and which stood
about four hundred feet west of the present residence of Bradley
Hill, on the same side of the street. The house was demolished
purchased this property January 2, 1749, he undoubtedly located
his family on it the following spring, as in subsequent deeds
he is recognized as a resident of the "Parish of Reading."
It was here that Aaron, Samuel, Joel, and Huldah were born.
It was here he lived, and died, and from here he was buried
in the old cemetery west of the Congregational Church in Redding
the children of Samuel Barlow, Daniel and Ruhamah died early.
James settled in Ridgefield, on a farm of 130 acres conveyed
to him by his father March 30, 1770. He had four children:
Samuel, who removed to the South; Louis, Abigail, and James,
who settled in Vermont. Jabez, the youngest son by the first
wife, settled in Ohio.
Barlow married Jane Bradley, who was born May, 1744. Their
children were: Gershom, born October 21, 1765; died of consumption
September 24, 1794. Esther, born September 30, 1767; a deaf-mute;
died May 10, 1783. Sarah, born January 16, 1770; died April
11, 1845. Jonathan, born April 14, 1772; died August 28, 1775.
Betsey, born August 2, 1778; died September 9, 1864. Huldah,
born April 3, 1780; a deaf-mute; died August 29, 1787. Mr.
Nathaniel Barlow died December 26, 1782.
and letters of Joel Barlow, LL.D., poet, statesman,
philosopher, with extracts from his works and hitherto
unpublished poems by Charles Burr Todd
Barlow settled in Redding, on Umpawaug Hill, on a farm purchased
by his father several years before. He was a man of ability,
tall, and of imposing bearing, and served in the capacity
of a colonel in the Revolution. He removed to Norfolk, Va.
and died there of yellow-fever. His children were: Elnathan,
who died young. Elnathan, died in the war of 1812. Samuel,
removed to Ohio. Stephen, was a lawyer in Ohio. Daniel, lived
and died in Redding. Aaron, died at sea. Esther, died at Norfolk,
of yellow-fever. Joel, died in Redding. Rebecca, lived and
died in Redding. Thomas, called after Thomas Paine by his
was educated and adopted by his uncle, the poet, and accompanied
him to France as his private secretary. He was also his companion
on the fatal journey to Wilna. After the death of his uncle,
Thomas returned to America and established himself as a lawyer
in Pittsburg, Pa. and died there.
Barlow, the third son by the second wife, was a soldier in
the Revolutionary Army, and died at Rhinebeck, NY. on his
return from the expedition against Ticonderoga. A stone to
his memory was erected in the old cemetery in Redding, near
the Congregational Church, and which is still standing.
Nathaniel Bartlett, second pastor of the Congregational Church
in Redding, became a resident in 1753, and so remained until
his death in 1810. He married, June 13, 1753, Mrs. Eunice
Russell, of Branford, Conn. Their children were: Russel, baptized
June 9, 1754. Daniel C., baptized January 16, 1757. Anne,
February 25, 1759. Eunice, April 26, 1761. Jonathan, October
14, 1764. Lucretia, March 27, 1768.
married, February 28, 1776, Rachel Taylor, and had children:
Claire, baptized March 30, 1777, and Flora, baptized August
29, 1779. Daniel C. married Esther Read January 7, 1778, and
settled in Amenia, N.Y., where some of his descendants now
reside. Rev. Jonathan married, first, Roda, daughter of Lemuel
Sanford. He had no children.
see the extended Bartlett family
Bartram removed from Fairfield to Redding as early as 1733,
in which year he appears as surveyor of highways. He was a
farmer, and settled in Lonetown. He had five sons and three
daughters born in Fairfield, viz., David, Paul, James; Daniel,
born October 23, 1745; John, Mabel, Hannah, and Betsey. All
the sons settled in Redding.
married, April 30, 1762, Phebe Morehouse, by whom he had Joel,
David, John, Jonathan, Hulda, Hepsy, and Phebe. Paul married,
September 19, 1756, Mary Hawley. Their children were: Joseph,
born January 28, 1758; died in infancy. Mary, born May 12,
1760. Sarah, born August 6, 1762. Eunice, born January 3,
1765. Eli, born March 30, 1767. Ruth, born January 7, 1769.
Ezekiel, born July 9, 1770. Ezra, baptized May 9, 1773. Joseph,
baptized March 10, 1776. Family record mentions a daughter
these children, Mary married Jabez Burr, and removed to Clarendon,
VT. Sarah married Milo Palmer, and removed to the same place.
Eunice married Daniel Parsons, of Redding. Eli married Dolly
Lyon, of Redding; and about 1804 removed to Delaware Co.,
N.Y. His children were William, Belinda, Phebe, and Lodema.
Ezekiel married Esther, daughter of Jonathan Parsons, of Redding.
Their children were: Mary, Jared, Milo, Clarissa, Elizabeth,
Jehu, Sarah, Elias, Ezra, Phebe, and Noah. One of his sons,
Jehu, studied law and rose to eminence in the profession;
was judge, representative and senator. Ezekiel moved to Ohio
at an early day, and settled in Marion, where he resided until
his death, March 15, 1845. Ezra was a sailor; married Elinor,
daughter of Chauncey Merchant, of Redding, and quitting the
sea, removed to Delaware Co., N.Y., where he died shortly
after, leaving children-Joel M., Ezra, Uriah, and Lucy. Joseph
removed first to Vermont, and afterward to Tioga Co., N.Y.
Olive married Justus Stillson, of Redding, and removed to
Bartram, son of David, settled in Redding. Was a private in
the Revolution. Married Hannah Morehouse, who became the mother
of twenty-one children, ten only of whom survived. These were:
Isaac, born April 15, 1758. Noah, born 1760. James, born 1770.
Aaron, born February 21, 1784. Lucy, Hannah, Betsey, Irene,
these children, Isaac settled in Redding; married Molly Hamilton,
by whom he had seven children-Isaac, Harry, David, Willis,
Chasie, Lucy, Polly, and Huldah. Aaron also settled in Redding,
married Eunice Jenkins, and raised a large family of children.
fourth son of David, also settled in Redding, was a tanner
and currier by trade, and built the first works of the kind
in the town, on the ground now occupied by Walter M. Edmonds
for same purpose( On the 107 side of Gallows Hill). He married,
October 10, 1768, Ann Merchant, of Redding. There children
were: Esther, born April 16, 1770. Gurdon, born October 25,
1771; died in infancy. Elinor, born March 1, 1774; died in
infancy. Gurdon, born September 21, 1776. Anna, born August
10, 1778; married a Mead; settled in Ridgefield. Elinor, born
February 4, 1780; died in infancy. Uriah, born January 9,
1782. Elinor, born October 28, 1783; married a Nash; settled
in Marion. Julilla, born November 12, 1785; married a Bangs;
settled in Central N.Y. Levi, born November 26, 1787. Phebe,
born September 19, 1790; married a Curtin. David, born June
the time of Tryon's invasion, with nearly every other man
in the town capable of bearing arms, Daniel Bartram joined
the militia and marched to the defense of Danbury. Being absent
several days, he sent word to his wife that she must get some
one to take the hides from the vats or they would spoil. There
was not a man to be found; and so the brave woman, leaving
her four small children to amuse one another, caught her horse,
hitched him to the bark mill, ground the bark, took the hides
out, turned and repacked them and had just seated herself
at the dinner-table when her husband rode up, having gained
leave of absence for the purpose of attending to the matter.
the 3rd of May, 1810, Daniel Bartram left Redding, accompanied
by his wife, his four children, Uriah, Levi, Phebe, and David,
and several of his neighbors, for what was then the wilderness
of Ohio. They arrived in Madison, Lake Co., Ohio, on the 10th
of June, where they settled, and where many of their descendants
now reside. Daniel Bartram died in Madison, May 17, 1817.
His widow died August 3, 1835.
Bartram, the eldest of Daniel, remained in Redding. He married,
January 1, 1804, Lorraine, daughter of Oliver Sanford, of
Redding. Their children were: Aaron R., Lucy A., Barney, Coley,
Betsey, Oliver, Daniel S., Ephraim, Levi, Fredrick, Mary,
and Julia. Gurdon Bartram died April 12, 1845, at the old
homestead now occupied by his grandson David.
second son of Daniel, settled in Madison, Ohio, where he died
quite suddenly of heart-disease, June 28, 1830, leaving a
wife and six children.
third son of Daniel, settled in Madison, Ohio; married, June
17, 1813, Betsey Nott Walker, who was born in Ashford, Conn.,
April 29, 1790. Mr. Bartram died of heart-disease May 12,
1857, leaving a family of five children. His widow died June
fourth son of Daniel, also settled in Madison, and subsequently
removed to Trumbull, Ashtabula Co., Ohio. He married, March
12, 1818, Elizabeth Gregory, formerly of Harpersfield, N.Y.
They had six children. Mr. Bartram died of heart-disease September
Bartram, son of David the first, married, September 19, 1756,
Charity Bulkley. Family record mentions two children, Sally
Bates was received to church-membership in Redding, January
19, 1745. His wife, Sarah, March 4, 1748. There is no hint
of his previous residence, and he probably came here direct
children recorded in Redding were: Justus, baptized July 26,
1747; and Sarah, baptized February 2, 1752; by a second wife,
Tabitha-Walker, baptized January 6, 1760; Elias, baptized
February 16, 1761, died in infancy.
Bates, probably son of Elias, married Esther (last name unknown).
Their children were: Ezra, baptized July 25, 1762; Sarah,
baptized May 5, 1764; Esther, baptized August 23, 1767; Nathan,
baptized March 25, 1770; Aaron, baptized July 1, 1772; Martha
and Slawson, January 26, 1778.
Bates, son of Elias, married Hannah Coley, May 23, 1770. They
had one child, Elias, baptized October 4, 1772, who married,
November 9, 1793, Lydia Andrews, of Redding, and was the father
of three children: Walker, born June 4, 1796; Amaziah, born
May 17, 1801; and Harriet, born May 21, 1804.
Beach, missionary of the Church of England in Redding, was
born in Stratford, Conn., October 6, 1700. His father was
Isaac Beach, son of John Beach who came from England in 1643.
He graduated from Yale College in 1721. He married, first,
Sarah (last name unknown), who died in 1756; and second, Abigail
Holbrook, who after his death returned to Derby.
had in all nine children. Those who had families were: Joseph,
born September 26, 1727; Phebe, born 1729, married Daniel
Hill of Redding, died in 1751, leaving son Abel. John born
1734, married Phebe Curtis, died in 1791. Lazarus, born 1736,
had two children, viz. Lazarus, born 1760, and Isaac, born
inherited his father's land in Redding, at Hopewell, near
which he built his house. Lazarus Beach, Jr., was of a literary
turn, and edited a paper at Bridgeport, and afterward at Washington,
D.C. On his journey to the latter place he lost his trunk
or valise, containing the Beach manuscripts, and all his materials
gathered for the purpose of writing a memoir of his distinguished
grandfather. He built his house now standing near Mr. Godfrey's(Chestnut
Woods near the bethel line). Isaac Beach built the house now
occupied by Hull B. Bradley.
Rev. John Beach lived about thirty to forty rods south of
the church, probably on the site of the old Captain Munger
house, which has long since disappeared. The well is still
used by Mr. E.P. Shaw. Lucy, daughter of the Rev. John Beach,
married Rev. Mr. Townsend, and was lost at sea on her passage
to Nova Scotia, probably at the time of the great exodus of
Loyalists after the Revolution. The mother of James Sanford,
Sen., was the daughter of Lazarus and great-granddaughter
of Rev. John Beach.
Benedicts were a Norwalk family and settled quite largely
in Ridgefield. The first of the name whom I find in Redding
was Thaddeus Benedict, who was a lawyer and town-clerk for
a term of years. His house stood in the lot adjoining the
Congregational parsonage, near the site of the present residence
of Joseph Squire. His law office was under the great elm in
front of his house. He married Deborah Read, July 12, 1775,
daughter of Colonel John Read, who bore his several children.
Stephen Betts, a prominent character in the Revolution, lived
on Redding Ridge, in a house that stood on the corner, nearly
opposite the former residence of Francis A. Sanford. He was
an active Whig, and was taken prisoner by the British on their
march to Danbury in 1777. He had a son Daniel, and two or
three daughters, of whom I have no record. His son Daniel
was a merchant for a while on Redding Ridge and then removed
to New Haven, where some of his children are now living.
the earliest settlers of Redding were Jehu, Stephen, and Peter
Burr, sons of Daniel Burr, of Fairfield, and brothers of the
Rev. Aaron Burr, President of Princeton College. They all
appear at about the same time, viz. 1730. In October of that
year Stephen Burr was elected a member of the first Society
Committee of the parish. He married Elizabeth Hull, June 8th,
1721. Children: Grace, born December 12th, 1724. Elizabeth,
born January 17th, 1728. Hezekiah, born September 1st, 1730.
Sarah, born November 9th, 1732. Martha, born March 24th, 1735.
Esther, born February 5th, 1743. Rebecca.
married, second, Abigail Hall, of New Jersey. He lived in
a house that stood where Dr. Gorham later built his residence.
His only son, Hezekiah, died December, 1785, unmarried. Of
the daughters, Grace married Daniel Gold, Elizabeth married
Reuben Squire, Sarah married Joseph Jackson, Martha married
Zacariah Summers. Esther married Anthony Angevine, and Rebecca
married Seth Sanford. Deacon Stephen Burr died in 1779. Of
him Colonel Aaron Burr wrote in his journal in Paris: "My
uncle Stephen lived on milk punch, and at the age of eighty-six
mounted by the stirrup a very gay horse, and galloped off
with me twelve miles without stopping, and was I thought less
fatigued than I."
Burr first appears in Redding as a clerk of a society meeting
held October 11th, 1730. His children were: Ellen, baptized
September 19, 1734. Sarah, baptized February 21st, 1736. Ezra,
baptized January 2d, 1737. Edmund, baptized September 28th,
1761. Peter Burr died in August, 1779. His children shortly
after removed to Virginia.
Burr and wife were admitted to church membership in Redding,
December 24th, 1738. None of his children were recorded in
Redding, and none, so far as known, settled there. He owned
property in Fairfield, and probably spent the last years of
his life there.
Burr, son of Joseph Burr, of Fairfield, and his wife Elizabeth,
appear in Redding as early as 1743. Their children were Elijah,
baptized May 15th, 1743. Nathan, born January 1st, 1745. Jabez,
birth date unknown, Ezekiel, born March 23rd, 1755. Stephen,
born January 16th, 1757. Joel, born September 9th, 1759. Eunice,
Huldah, and Hannah. Jabez Burr died in 1770. He is said to
have settled in the Saugatuck Valley, near the present residence
of Stephen Burr, and to have built there the first grist mill
in the town.
his children, Elijah married Roda Sanford, April 2d, 1767,
and had children-Lemuel and Elizabeth; and by a second wife-Eunice
Hawley, married April 27th, 1773-Joseph, Roda, John(who died
of yellow fever in the West Indies), and Lucy, who married
Jonathan Knapp, of Redding. Nathan, the second son, removed
to Pawlings, Duchess Co., N.Y., in 1792, and there founded
a numerous and wealthy family. Jabez, the third son, married
Mary, daughter of Paul Bartram, and removed to Clarendon,
VT., in 1786. He had one son, Aaron. Ezekiel, married Huldah
Merchant, of Redding, who bore him three children: Aaron,
who lived and died in the house now owned by Captain Davis;
William, who removed to Kentucky in 1816; and Huldah, who
married Daniel Mallory in 1806, and removed to the West.
son of William Burr is now President of the St. Louis National
Bank. Another son, George, a teller in the same institution,
was the companion of Prof. Wise in his late fatal balloon
expedition, and shared the fate of the aeronaut. Stephen Burr
married Mary Griffin, of Redding. his children were: Clara,
Mary, Stephen, and Ezekiel. Joel Burr married Elizabeth Gold
and settled in Ballston Springs, N.Y.
Burritt and wife were admitted members of the church December
9th, 1739. No hint of their previous residence is given. Their
children recorded at Redding were: Mary, baptized December
16th, 1739. Abijah, January 18th, 1741. Roda, October 24th,
1742. Sybil, February 19th, 1744.
Burritt appears at the same time. His son Solomon was baptized
August 5th, 1739. Noah, January 31st, 1742. Nathaniel, October
17th, 1743. Isaac, July 21st, 1745.
son of Solomon Burton, baptized December 19th, 1742. Ruth,
daughter, baptized October 7th, 1744. Solomon Burton and wife,
church members July 5th, 1741.
Chatfield and wife were admitted church members July 29th,
1733. Their children recorded were: Samuel, baptized July
29th, 1733. Daniel, baptized August 31st, 1735. Sarah, April
17th, 1737. Martha, baptized May 20th, 1739.
Samuel Couch, of Fairfield, was one of the largest landholders
in Redding at one time, and was largely instrumental in its
settlement. He was, however, never a resident here. Ebenezer
Couch appears here as early as 1739. His children recorded
were: Daniel, Baptized July 29th, 1739. Adea, baptized September
19th, 1742. Elijah, baptized July 26th, 1747. Thesde, January
following children of John Couch and his wife Elizabeth are
recorded: John, baptized March 20th, 1748. Stephen, baptized
January 21st, 1753. Adria, baptized April 20th, 1755. Elizabeth,
baptized July 17th, 1757. Samuel, baptized August 30th, 1758.
an early day, nearly the entire district of Couch's Hill was
purchased by Mr. Simon Couch, of Fairfield, who gave his name
to the district purchased. His wife was Abigail Hall, a member
of a notable Fairfield family. His will, dated March 2nd,
1712-13, is still in the possession of Mr. Nash Couch, of
Couch's Hill, who is a lineal descendant. In this will he
gives his "Negro man Jack" and "Negro maid
Jinne" to his wife, in addition to other bequests.
children mentioned in the will were: Simon, Jr. Thomas, Abigail,
Hannah, Sarah, Isabel, and Deborah. Thomas was lost at sea
while on a voyage to England. Simon settled on his father's
estate in Redding; married January 27th, 1753, Rebecca, daughter
of Captain Thomas Nash, of Fairfield. Their children, as given
in the genealogy of the Nash family, were: Abigail, baptized
February 10th, 1754; died young. Simon, born May 18th, 1755;
settled at Green's Farms. Thomas Nash, born April 18th, 1758;
settled in Redding. Rebecca, born January 31st, 1761. Abigail,
baptized January 27th, 1765. Lydia, born October 20th, 1767.
Deacon Simon Couch died April 25th, 1809.
Couch, of Fairfield, removed to Redding prior to the Revolution,
and settled on Umpawaug Hill. He married, April 2nd, 1772,
Sarah, daughter of Jonathan Nash, of Fairfield. Their children
were: Sarah, born August 9th, 1773; died young. Thomas, born
September 23rd, 1774. Jonathan, born February 13th, 1777,
who was the father of Major-General Couch, distinguished in
the War of the Rebellion. Sarah, born September 18th, 1779.
Nathan, born September 25th, 1781. Esther, born December 14th,
1783. Moses, born October 2nd, 1786. Edward, born March 7th,
1789. Hezekiah, born March 14th, 1791. Mary, born April 21st,
1793. John, born July 28th, 1795. Mr. Thomas Couch died in
Redding in 1817.
the outbreak of the Revolution Thomas Couch enlisted in the
patriot army, and was one of the band of heroes who were present
with Montgomery at the siege of Quebec. He left his wife with
their young children in Fairfield. When Tryon moved on that
town, Mrs. Couch had what furniture and grain she could gather
put into an ox cart drawn by two yoke of oxen, and started
for Redding, where she owned land in her own right. She followed
on horseback, carrying her two children in her arms. At the
close of the war, Thomas joined his wife in Redding, where
they continued to reside until death.
Couch, brother of Thomas, settled in Redding, on Umpawaug
Hill, about the same time. He married, January 7th, 1776,
Eleanor, daughter of Jonathan Nash, of Fairfield. Their children
were: Elizabeth, born October 9th, 1776. Jessup, born August
3rd, 1778. Seth, born August 31st, 1780. Eleanor, born August
26th, 1782. Simon, born December 1st, 1784. Nash, born April
23rd, 1787. Priscilla, born June 27th, 1790. Edward, born
July 14th, 1792. Simon A., born December 6th, 1794. Caroline,
born June 23rd, 1801. Simon Couch died April 16th, 1829. Of
the children, Simon and Jessup graduated at Yale College.
Jessup graduated in 1802, and in 1804 removed to Chillicothe,
Ohio, where he practiced law until his appointment as Judge
of the Superior Court of Ohio in 1815. This office he continued
to hold until his death in 1821. In the War of 1812 he was
also aide-de-camp to Governor Meigs, of Ohio, and bearer of
dispatches to General Hull.
Couch, his brother, settled at Marion, Ohio, where he practiced
medicine until his death in 1826.
daughter of Joseph Darling, baptized January 25th, 1736. Benjamin,
baptized April 13th, 1738. Martha, January 11th, 1741. Joseph,
baptized November, 1743.
Fairchild removed to Redding from Norwalk in 1733; was one
of the original members of the church. His wife Mary was admitted
January 29th, 1738. Their children recorded were: Timothy
and William, baptized October 23rd, 1738. Sarah, April 12th,
1741. Abijah, May 27th, 1744. Mary, October 27th, 1745.
Fairchild, probably brother of above, came from Norwalk in
1746, and built the first fulling-mill in the town, near the
site later occupied by Deacon Foster's wollen-mill. His wife
Sarah Scribner of Norwalk. Their children were: Abraham, born
January 1st, 1745; died aged 17 years old. Ezekiel, born October
26th, 1746. Daniel, born December 26th, 1748. Isacc, born
March 4th, 1751. David, born June 5th, 1753. Samuel, born
July 9th, 1755. Stephen, born March 7th, 1758. Rachel, born
February 2nd, 1761. John, born March 15th, 1764. Ellen, born
October 16th, 1767. Six of these brothers were in the Revolutionary
army at one time. David was captured by the British, and confined
in Trinity Church, New York. The small-pox was communicated
to the prisoners-it is said with design, and he with many
others died of the disease. Stephen was wounded at Ridgefield,
but recovered: married Lizzie Fitch, of Wilton. Their children
were: Daniel, Kier, Isaac, Ellen, and Stephen. Ezekiel married
Eunice Andrews: had four children, Abraham, Sarah, Abigail,
and Burr. Daniel married Betsy Mead, and removed to the West.
Isaac married Rachel Banks, and removed to Liberty, N.Y. Samuel
married Nabbie Platt, of Redding, and had two children, Aaron
and Betsy. John married Abigail Wakeman, of Weston. Their
children were: Eli, William, David, Rachel, Moses, Henry,
and Eliza. David married Charlotte Guyer, of Weston. Their
children were: Eli, William, David, Mary, and John. Rachel
married Seth Andrews, of Redding. Ellen married Minott Thomas,
a Baptist clergyman.
Samuel, and John built a grist mill at an early day on the
site of the one later known as Treadwell's mill. It was carried
off by the great freshet of 1807, and the large stock of grain
it contained was scattered over the meadows below. They also
owned a saw-mill just below, and sawed plank for the soldiers'
huts in the Revolution.
Foster, the founder of the family in America, came to this
country in 1638 with his five sons, Abraham, Reginald, William,
Isaac, and Jacob, and settled at Ipswitch, Essex Co., Mass.
Jacob Foster was the ancestor of the Redding family. Jonah
Foster settled in Redding about 1775; married Hannah Benedict,
of Ridgefield, and shortly after removed to that town., and
there resided until his death in 1815. His son, Joel Foster,
was born in Redding November 8th, 1780, and lived in Ridgefield
with his parents until his marriage with Esther Seymour in
1802. In 1803 he removed to Redding, and bought of Moses Fox
a small place, on which was a fulling-mill and other conveniences
for cheapening cloths. This mill stood a little below the
present bridge over Nobb's Crook bridge, and the ruins of
its dam are still to be seen. In 1804, Mr. Foster built an
addition to his fulling-mill building, which was leased to
Zalmon Toucey, of Newtown, and in which Toucey erected a carding
machine, paying a yearly rent of twenty dollars.
long Mr. Toucey's lease continued is not known, but he probably
soon relinquished it to Joel Foster, as the latter continued
the business until about the time of the opening of the War
of 1812, when a company was formed, styled Comstock, Foster
& Co., who built a woollen factory a few rods below the
old fulling-mill, and continued the manufacture of woolen
goods during the entire period of the war, being very successful.
The company, a few years after the war, was bought out by
Joel Foster, who continued the business until the burning
of his factory in 1843 or 1844, when he retired. Mr. Foster
died in 1854, aged Seventy-four years. He had four children,
all born in Redding: Daniel, Betsy, Eliza, and Charles F.
Generation: Benjamin Gilbert was born April 14, 1790, and
died April 5, 1847. He married Charlotte Birchard in 1809
(Source: LDS Website.), daughter of Daniel Burchard. She was
born 1794, and died January 31, 1872.
About Benjamin Gilbert: Founder of G&B Wire Manufacturing
Co. (see G&B Histories) Burial: Branchville
of Benjamin Gilbert and Charlotte Birchard are: Charlotte
Gilbert, born February 8, 1812; died May 9, 1847. William
J. Gilbert, born April 14, 1814 in Weston, Fairfield County,.
Conn; died May 11, 1884. Angeline Gilbert, born Abt. 1818.
She married Isaac Weed. Edwin Gilbert, born Abt. 1822; died
1906. He married Elizabeth Jones October 26, 1846; born Abt.
1825. More About Edwin Gilbert: Occupation: 1880, Treasurer
Of The Georgetown Manuf. Co., later served as President until
his death (see G&B Histories). Mary Gilbert, born Abt.
1826; died April 2, 1860 in Redding, Fairfield County,. Conn.
Louisa Gilbert, born Abt. 1832; died July 19, 1879. Elizabeth
Gilbert, born Abt. 1836. Sylvester Gilbert, born Abt. 1838.
Generation: Charlotte Gilbert was born February 8, 1812, and
died May 9, 1847 (Source: LDS Website.). She married Sturges
Bennett 1830, son of Elias Bennett and Mary Perry. He was
born 1805 in Redding, Fairfield County,. Conn, and died May
30, 1880. Burial: Branchville Cemetery, Ridgefield, Fairfield
of Charlotte Gilbert and Sturges Bennett are: Sturges Bennett,
born 1835; died April 26, 1836. Adele Bennett, born 1838;
died March 11, 1843. Adele Bennett, born 1843; died June 27,
1843. Eli Gilbert Bennett, born February 2, 1831 in Georgetown,
Fairfield County, Conn; died July 12, 1920 in Brooklyn, New
J. Gilbert was born April 14, 1814 in Redding, Fairfield County,.
Conn, and died May 11, 1884. He married Harriet Augusta Howe,
daughter of George C. Howe. She was born Abt. 1835 in NY,
and died August 8, 1892. More About William J. Gilbert: Occupation:
1880, Initially sales agent for Georgetown Man'F. Co., would
serve as President until his death.
of William Gilbert and Harriet Howe are: Benjamin Howe Gilbert,
born April 18, 1863. George C. Gilbert, born August 27, 1865.
William H. Gilbert, born June 1, 1867. Elizabeth G. Gilbert,
born July 3, 1869. She married Walter C Townsend. 18 v. Hester
Gilbert, born Abt. 1872.
Gilbert, born Abt. 1822; died 1906. He married Elizabeth Jones
October 26, 1846; born Abt. 1825, died 1910. Notes: 1880,
Treasurer Of The Georgetown Manuf. Co., later served as President
until his death (see G&B Histories). Gilbert Farm, Gilbert
Gilbert was born Abt. 1826, and died April 2, 1860 in Redding,
Fairfield County,. Conn. She married Edmond Ogden Hurlbutt
September 15, 1842 in Redding, Fairfield County, Conn, son
of John Hurlbutt and Elizabeth Ogden. He was born December
9, 1811 in Wilton, Fairfield County, Conn, and died November
of Mary Gilbert and Edmond Hurlbutt are: Edmond Oscar Hurlbutt,
born December 1842; died August 18, 1843. Edmond Oscar Hurlbutt,
born November 14, 1843 in Redding, Fairfield County,. Conn.
Infant Son Hurlbutt, born Abt. 1851; died April 13, 1851.
Mary Adelle Hurlbutt, born November 14, 1851; died Aft. 1933.
She married Orrin Sydney Starr January 19, 1870; born August
3, 1846 in Bethel, Fairfield County, Conn. Charlotte A. Hurlbutt,
born March 17, 1858; died October 9, 1920. She married C.
Addison Northrup; born March 21, 1850; died September 19,
Gilbert was born Abt. 1832, and died July 19, 1879. She married
William Woolsey Beers December 21, 1859 in Redding, Fairfield,
son of Lewis Beers and Rhoda Gregory. He was born September
11, 1821 in Ridgefield, Fairfield County, Conn, and died 1879.
of Louisa Gilbert and William Beers are: Louis Gilbert3 Beers,
born 1862. He married Sarah McKim Yardley June 7, 1904. Mary
Louise Beers, born 1866 in Ridgefield, Fairfield County, Conn;
died 1945 in Ridgefield, Fairfield County, Conn. She married
Russell Walter Lowe August 12, 1891.
3: Eli Gilbert Bennett was born February 2, 1831 in Georgetown,
Fairfield County, Conn, and died July 12, 1920 in Brooklyn,
New York. He married Mary Esther Birchard May 4, 1859. She
died February 23, 1906 in Brooklyn, New York.
for Eli Gilbert Bennett: *Bennett, Eli Gilbert. S. of Sturges
and Charlotte (Gilbert), b. Georgetown, Conn., F. 2, 1831.
M. A., A. C., 1858. Delta Upsilon. Prepared with Henry Lobdell,
Danbury, Conn. Clerk Gilbert and Bennett Manufacturing Co.,
Georgetown, Conn., 1855-60; merchant Georgetown, Conn., 1860-81;
bookkeeper Gilbert and Bennett Manufacturing Co., N. Y. City,
1881-1903; r. Brooklyn, N. Y., 1903-20. D. Brooklyn, N. Y.,
Jy. 12, 1920. Married May 4, 1859, Mary Esther, da. of Edward
Birchard, Wilton, Conn., who d. Brooklyn, N. Y., F. 23, 1906.
of Eli Bennett and Mary Birchard are: Eli S. Bennett. Edwin
B. Bennett. Charles Bennett. Mary E. Bennett. Unknown Bennett.
She married Isaac D. Hurlbutt.
Howe Gilbert was born April 18, 1863. He married Sarah L.
Renaud October 3, 1886 in Wilton, Fairfield County, Conn.
Notes for Benjamin Howe Gilbert: member of Deland and Gilbert
Toilet Soap company in Branchville, Conn
of Benjamin Gilbert and Sarah Renaud are: Grace Gilbert. Charlotte
Gilbert, born Abt. 1889. Edwin Gilbert. Ruth Gilbert. Naomi
Samuel, and Stephen Gold (now written Gould), brothers, members
of a Fairfield family that had been prominent in church and
state for several generations, were among the early settlers
of the town, though none of their descendants are now found
among us. Daniel appears first: he married Grace, daughter
of Deacon Stephen Burr, and lived where James Lord now lives.
His children, as named in the will of Deacon Burr, were: Abigail,
who married Richard Nichols. Esther, who married Nathaniel
Northrop. Sarah, who married David Turney. Mary, who married
Seth Price; and Elizabeth.
Gold settled in Lonetown, and built the house now owned by
Seth Todd. He was a soldier in the Revolution, and was wounded
at the skirmish in Ridgefield. Some of the officers of Putnam's
commnd had their quarters at Mr. Gold's during their encampment
in Redding. Their children were: Hezekiah, Daniel, Burr, Aaron,
Sarah, Polly, and Grace. Stephen Gold settled on the farm
later owned by Timothy Platt in Lonetown. He is called captain
in the records. He did not long remian a resident of Redding,
but returned, it is said to Greenfield.
Gorham and his wife Ann first appear on the parish records
January 25th, 1762, when their son Isaac was baptized. There
is no hint of thier former residence but they were probably
from Fairfield. I find no further record of their children.
on the Gorham Family here.
Gray and wife were admitted church-members December 5th, 1742.
John Gray and wife February 9th, 1744, on the recommendation
of Rev. Mr. Dickinson, of Norwalk.
only child of Daniel Gray recorded was James, baptized May
8th, 1743. The children of John Gray were: Hannah, baptized
July 1st, 1744. Joseph, baptized July 15th, 1753. Eunice,
baptized January 2nd, 1755, and (by a second wife, Ruamah)
Eunice, baptized April 13th, 1760; and Joel, September 11th,
son of Stephen and Sarah Gray, was baptized May 10th, 1747.
Also Huldah, a daughter, baptized December 14th, 1760. Hannah,
October 3rd, 1762; and Sarah, June 17th, 1764. James Gray,
only son of Daniel, married Mabel Phinney, February 9th, 1764.
Their children were: Jesse, baptized April 14th, 1765.
Griffin appears in Redding as early as 1736. His children
were: Sarah, baptized May 9th, 1736. Annie, baptized October
22nd, 1738; and Jonathan, baptized November 23rd, 1746. He
settled in West Redding, near the Danbury line.
Halls were among the earliest settlers in Redding, the name
appearing on the earliest petitions from the parish. In 1730,
at the distribution of the estate of Samuel Hall, he is said
to be of Chestnut Ridge, in Redding. His children as given
were: Ebenezer, Johanna, Jemina, and Rebecca. Isaac Hall,
whose farm lay contiguous to Samuel's, was one of the original
church-members, and was recommended by Rev. Mr. Chapman. He
died in 1741. Asa Hall and Rachel his wife were admitted March
23rd, 1736, on the same recommendation. I find no mention
Hawley and wife were admitted church-members in December,
1740, on recommendation of Rev. Mr. Gold, of Stratford. Their
children recorded were: Mary, baptized February 7th, 1742.
Ruth, November 5th, 1746. Eunice, October 25th, 1750. Joseph
Hawley died December 12th, 1771, aged sixty-six years. William
Hawley, who appears in Redding as early as 1762, was probably
his son. He lived where James Miller now lives; married Lydia,
daughter of Captain Thomas Nash, of Fairfield, July 12th,
1758. Their children were: Lydia, died in infancy. Joseph,
born June 23rd, 1762; settled in Redding. Lydia, born December
13th, 1763; married Aaron Sanford, of Redding. William, died
in infancy. Bille, born February 9th, 1767, removed to the
West. Hezekiah, died in infancy. Hezekiah, born March 10th,
1772. Lemuel, died young, of smallpox. William Hawley, died
February 16th, 1797. Mrs. Lydia Hawley died April 26th, 1812.
founder in America of this family was William Hill, who on
his arrival here about 1632 settled first at Dorchester, Mass.
and shortly after removed to Windsor, on the Connecticut River,
where he bought land and set out an orchard. At an early day
he removed to Fairfield, and was among the early settlers
of that town. He died in 1650. His children were: Sarah, William,
Joseph, Ignatius, James, and Elizabeth. William, the second
child, married Elizabeth (last name unknown). Their children
were: Sarah, William, Joseph, John, Eliphalet, Ignatius, and
James. William, the third, married (name unknown), and had
children, Sarah, William, Joseph and David. William Hill,
the fourth, married Sarah (last name unknown). Their children
were: Joseph, William, and David.
Joseph Hill, born April 1st, 1699; married Abigail Dimon on
March 30th, 1731. The children of this marriage were: Abigail,
born March 21st, 1733. David, born April 22nd, 1737. Ebenezer,
born February 26th, 1742. Jabez, born June 17th, 1744. Moses,
born January 11th, 1748. Of the sons, only Ebenezer, Jabez,
and Moses married. Ebenezer married Mabel Sherwood January
17th, 1765. Their children were: David, Ebenezer, Seth, Dimon,
Joseph, Mabel, Eleanor, Jabez, and Esther. Ebenezer, his second
son, married Sarah, daughter of Nathaniel Barlow, brither
of the poet, May, 1791. He removed to Redding early in life,
and settled in the Boston district. His children were: Mabel,
Nathaniel B., Gershom, Ebenezer, Moses, and Jabez.
Hill, son of Deacon Joseph Hill, settled in Weston; was a
major in the army of the Revolution; married Sarah, daughter
of Colonel John Read settled in Redding. The children of this
marriage were: Sarah, John Read, and Moses. Sarah married
Timothy Platt, of Redding. John Read setled in Redding at
an early day, and became one of its wealthiest and best knonwn
residents. He began his business career by engaging in the
manufacture of lime as before narrated, and on his retirement
in 1823 purchased the "manor" of his grandfather,
Colonel Read, where he continued to reside until his death
in 1851. He married, March 23rd, 1799, Betsy, daughter of
Aaron Sanford, of Redding. Their children were: Aaron Sanford,
Moses, William Hawley, Betsy, John Lee, Morris, Lydia, and
Hill, son of Deacon Joseph Hill, married Esther, daughter
of Ebenezer Burr, of Fairfield, June 17th, 1773. The children
by this marriage were: William, Abigail, and Esther. William
married Betsey, daughter of Nathaniel Barlow, brother of the
poet, and had children, Bradley, Abigail, Horace, Burr, and
Revolutionary days and before, Squire Heron lived in the now
ancient house on Redding Ridge, just south of the Episcopal
church. He was a native of Cork, Ireland; a graduate of Trinity
College, Dublin; and a man of much ability and force of character.
It is said that he taught the Academy in Greefield Hill before
coming to Redding, and had also surveyed the old stage route
from New York to Boston. I cannot determine the precise date
of his arrival here, but it was some time prior to the Revolution.
In that memorable struggle he sided with the king, and was
the recognized leader of the company of Tories on Redding
Ridge. At the time of Tryon's invasion he openly gave aid
and comfort to the enemy. After the war he became a prominent
character in the town, and although somewhat bigoted, and
imbued with the Old World notions of caste and social distinctions,
is said to have exercised a great deal of influence in public
affairs, especially at town meetings. "We must keep down
the underbrush" was a favorite remark of his in speaking
of the common people. The following story, illustrating in
a marked manner the customs of the day, is related of him:
one of the annual town meetings Mr. Hezekiah Morgan, a somewhat
illiterate man, was nominated for grand juror. Squire Heron,
in laced waistcoat, ruffles, and velvet breeches, and aiding
himself with his gold-headed cane, arose to oppose the motion.
"Mr. Moderator," said he, "who is this Kier
Morgan? Why, a man brought up in Hopewell woods: he fears
neither God, man, nor the devil. If elected, who will be responsible
for his acts? Will you, Mr. Moderator? or I? Why, sir, he
can arrest anybody: he can arrest your Honor, or even myself;"
and with like cogent reasons succeeded in defeating the obnoxious
Heron died January 8th, 1819, aged seventy-seven years, and
is buried in the old Episcopal churchyard on Redding Ridge.
His children were: William, Maurice, Elizabeth, Lucy, Elosia,
Margaret, and Susan. William never married. He lived on the
old homestead in Redding all his days, and was a man much
respected in the community. His brother, Maurice graduated
at Yale College, and shortly after was killed by a steamboat
explosion on the Connecticut River, near Essex.
Hull family are recorded in the Herald's Distinction of Devon
as a very ancient family of Devonshire, but the original name,
De La Hulle, in Shropshire, in the reign of Edward II., indicates
that they went from the Continent to England, probably from
Normandy. Shortly after the Pilgrams landed in Plymouth, five
brothers named Hull came to Massachusetts from England, viz.,
John, George, Richard, Joseph, and Robert.
who was the ancestor of the Hulls of Redding, appears in Dorchester,
Mass., in 1630; removed to Windsor, Conn., and afterward to
Fairfield; died in August, 1659. His will, dated August 25,
1659, mentions sons: Josias and Cornelius, and several daughters.
His son Cornelius married Rebecca, daughter of Rev. John Joanes,
the first minister of Fairfield, who was of Welsh origin.
His will, of the date September 16, 1695, mentions three sons,
Samuel, Cornelius, and Theophilus; and three daughters, Rebecca,
Sarah, the wife of Robert Stillman, and Martha, wife of Cornelius
Stratton. The children of Cornelius were: George, Sarah, Rebecca,
Nathaniel, Ebenezer, Elizabeth, John, Martha, Eleanor, and
Cornelius. Deacon George Hull was one of the fathers of the
infant settlement. He was the moderator of the first parish
meeting, a member of the first parish committee, and first
deacon of the church in Redding. He also appears on numerous
committees. He and his wife, and Theophilus and wife were
among the original church members in 1733. John Hull was admitted
April 18, 1736. All of them removed here from Greenfield Hill.
George, Ebenezer, and Cornelius must have come to Redding
prior to 1733, for their names appear in a petition to fix
upon a site for a meeting-house in 1725. By a deed dated Danbury,
May 19, 1729, a tract of land lying in Chestnut Ridge, between
Danbury and Fairfield, is conveyed to George Hull and heirs
by Jonathan Squires.
Hull 's children recorded in Redding are: Seth, baptized July
29, 1733; and Rebecca, May 25, 1735. He died February 9th,
1769, aged 83. Seth Hull married Elizabeth Mallory, his niece.
Children recorded in Redding are: Abigail, born January 28th,
1762; Jonathan, October 25, 1763, Eliphalet, December 18,
1765; Walter, November 21, 1767; Lazarus, January 16, 1770;
Hezekiah, March 24, 1792; and Martha, April 28, 1794. Besides
these were Elizabeth and Sarah; Martha married David Belden,
an Episcopal clergyman; Jonathan married Eunice Beach, and
was the father of Rev. Lemuel B. Hull, former rector of Christ
Church in Redding. Seth Hull died April 5, 1795.
Hull was born in 1695, and reared Sarah, Elizabeth, Esther,
Stephen, Nathaniel, Peter, Ezekiel, David, Aaron, Silas, and
children of Silas Hull were: Hannah, Huldah, and Bradley.
Bradley's children were: Burr, Pamelia, Charry, Silas, Aaron
B., Charles, Mary, Bradley H., Chapman, Le Grand, and Cornelia.
children of Ebenezer were: Daniel, Ebenezer, Nehemiah, and
Abigail. Daniel married Mary Betts, and removed from Redding
to Berlin, Rensselaer County, N.Y., in 1770, and was one of
the first settlers of that town. He died August 26, 1811,
aged 89 years. He had ten children, ciz., Martha, Hezekiah,
Justus, Abagail, Peter, Esther, Daniel, Stephen, Harry, and
these children all but the two last named were born in Redding.
Justus was one of the first ministers of the Second Baptist
Church in Danbury, and is reputed to have been a preacher
of more than ordinary ability. He was in the minister fifty-six
years, and died at Berlin, N.Y., May 29, 1833, at the age
of 78. His children were: Justus P. Emmerson, Polly Ann, and
Alonzo Grandison. The last named is a physician, and resides
in New York. He was a successful practitioner in London twelve
years. Ebenezer married and emigrated to the West. his descendants
reside in Iowa, Nebraska, and other Western states. Nehemiah
died a bachelor.
Hull removed to Redding when in middle life. He went with
the Provincial troops in the expedition against Cuba in 1641,
and fell victim to the yellow-fever with nearly a thousand
others of the sturdy sons of New England. He directed that
his musket, carried in the wars, should be sent home to his
eldest son Timothy; he to leave it to his eldest son, and
that it should descend in this manner to the eldest son as
long as it existed. Thus it has fallen in regular descent
to Aaron B. Hull, of Danbury, the great grandson of the original
owner. Before enlisting, Mr. Hull made his will, dated September
16, 1740, in which he mentions sons Timothy, James, and John,
and daughters Anna, Abagail, and Esther. Timothy was born
September 4, 1726, and married Anna, daughter of John Gray,
December 14, 1749. He died April 29, 1800. His children were
Hannah, born July 27, 1751, married Samuel Mallory, and died
in Danbury, September 4, 1836. Sarah, born February 5, 1754,
married John Fairchild and emigrated West. Ezra, born April
5, 1756, and died in Redding, March 5, 1837. He settled in
Boston school district. He married Elizabeth, daughter of
Onesimus Coley. His children were: Eunice, born July 6, 1785,
married Hiram Jackson; died in Kingston, N.Y., May 3, 1862.
Laura, born August 4, 1788, married John Eckert, and died
in Springfield, Otsego County, N.Y., November 17, 1865. Polly,
born November 29, 1798, died in Kingston, N.Y., September
28, 1876. Elizabeth, the wife of Ezra Hull, died February
28, 1809; he married Widow Mary Bradley, daughter of Gershom
Banks, of Fairfield, June 20, 1810; she died in Wilton, April
17, 1854. The children of this marriage were: Ezra Bradley
and Charles, who both died young, and Aaron B.
Hull served in the Revolutionary War, and participated in
those events which transpired during Governor Tryon's expedition
to and the burning of Danbury. Eunice, fourth child of Timothy
Hull, was born August 26, 1757, married George Perry and removed
to Kentucky. John, born June 26, 1759, married Sarah Fairchild;
died April 7, 1838. (His children were Aaron, Ezekiel, Hezekiah,
Abraham, and Polly.) Abraham, born March 30, 1761, died in
Danbury, October 29, 1831. David, born March 22, 1763, died
in Redding, March 19, 1847; he married Chloe Lee, and had
children, Daniel, Harry, and Lucy. Samuel, born June 22, 1766.
(He married Anna Wakeman, and had a daughter Eliza, who married
Horace Staples, President of the Westport National Bank. Samuel
Hull died in Redding, July 19, 1846.) Hezekiah, born October
22, 1769, died in Danbury, July 26, 1852. Anna, born December
7, 1771, married Lemuel Burr; died in Redding, December 20,
1840. Abigail, born November 17, 1775, married Timothy Perry;
died in Miamisburg, Ohio, March 16, 1844.
will of James, the second son of John Hull, of the date of
April 26, 1799, mentions no children. He died February 20,
1805, in the seventy-seventh year of his age. John married
Mollie Andrews, February 3, 1763. His children recorded are
Eleanor and Mollie. His will, bearing date June 24, 1815,
mentions no children, but names his "grandson John Goodyear,
and the son of his grandson Hull Goodyear;" also two
other names not given, but which were undoubtedly Munson Goodyear
and Ellen, wife of Harry Meeker.
the youngest son of Cornelius Hull, 2d, and Abagail, daughter
of robert Rumsey, were married August 24, 1731. Their children
were: Jedediah, Eunice, Grace, Eliphalet, Abigail, Sarah,
and Ruey. Jedediah Hull was second lieutenant under Colonel
David Wooster in the army which invaded Canada in 1758. His
children were: Denny, Eunice, Chapman, Molly, Cornelius, and
Jedediah. Denny and Chapman settled in Redding. The children
of the first named were: Mary, Denny, Isaac Platt, and Eunice.
Chapman's were: Morris, Henry C., and George.
will of Theophilus Hull, of Fairfield, the youngest son of
Cornelius, 1st, dated June 4, 1710, gives the names of sons
Theophilus, Eliphalet, John, and Jabesh, and two daughters,
Mary and Ann. Theophilus, his oldest son, married Widow Martha
Betts, of Redding, January 25, 1759. His will, of the date
December 1, 1785, names son Zalmon, and daughters Sarah and
Lydia. Zalmon's sons were: Hezekiah, Theophilus B., Henry
L., and his daughters, Lydia and Sally.
Redding records contain the marriage of Nehemiah Hull and
Grizzle Perry, February 5, 1767. Nehemiah, probably a son
of the above, married Sarah Jackson. Twin children were born
to them, December 7, 1792, and were named Sally Betsey, and
Betsey Sally. The first named married Theophilus B., son of
Zalmon Hull, and the other Morris, son of Chapman Hull.
Hull information is listed here.
Jackson and his wife Martha removed to Redding from Greens
Farms, Fairfield, in 1748, and were admitted church-members
the same year. He died April 28, 1765, aged sixty-five years.
The children of his son, Ephraim Jackson, were as follows:
aaron, baptized November 12, 1767. Mollie, baptized July 23,
1769. Peter, September 8, 1771. Hezekiah, February 27, 1774.
Jackson appears in Redding as early as 1763; was probably
son of Ephraim; married November 18, 1762, Anna Sanford. Their
children were: Ezekiel, baptized October 23, 1763. David,
February 2, 1766. Anna, September 30, 1770; died in infancy.
Anna, September 14, 1772; and by a second wife, Esther, Moses,
baptized December 11, 1774; perhaps others. Ezekiel, son of
David, married Hannah Gray, April 30, 1786 (Town record).
Their children were: Anna, born December 21, 1786. Hiram,
born April 22, 1788. Samuel, born December 29, 1789. Clarissa,
born December 25, 1792. Laura, born February 28, 1794. Harriet,
born December 18, 1795. Harriet married Gideon H. Hollister,
of Woodbury, and became the mother of Judge Gideon H. Holister,
the historian of Connecticut.
Lee and wife were admitted church members May 23, 1742. Their
children recorded were: Daniel, baptized January 8, 1744.
Abijah, baptized September 21, 1745. Abigail, baptized May
5, 1748. William, baptized April 5, 1753. Seth, baptized March
Lee and wife admitted May 8, 1737. Their daughter Mary was
baptized May 8, 1743.
the original members of the church at its organization in
1733 appear the names of Daniel Lion and wife, of Benjamin
Lion and wife-recommended by Rev. Mr. Gay-and Richard Lion
and wife. All settled in the south-eastern part of the town,
near what is now the Easton line. The record of their families
is as follows: Children of Daniel were: Jonathan, baptized
April 12, 1741. Children of Benjamin were: Bethel, baptized
May 29, 1733. John, baptized August 22, 1736. Samuel, baptized
August 20, 1738. Phebe, baptized February 24, 1740. Richard
Lion died in January 1740, aged eighty-seven years.
Lord was admitted church-member in 1744, recommended by Rev.
Mr. Parsons, of Lyme. His children were: David, baptized July
8, 1744. Elizabeth, baptized March 5, 1749.
Mallory and wife were admitted church-members December 22,
1735, on recommendation of Rev. Mr. Chapman. She was Elizabeth
Adams. They were married April 10, 1735. Their children were:
Jonathan, baptized January 11, 1736. Eliza, baptized December
Mallory married Joanna Hall February 28, 1737. Children were:
Rebecca, baptized February 5, 1738; died in infancy. Rebecca,
baptized January 13, 1739. Ebenezer Mallory and Hannah Keys
were married February 6, 1744. No children found. Daniel Mallory
and Sarah Lee were married November 30, 1748. Their children
were: Daniel, baptized October 25, 1750. Nathan, August 25,
1754. Abigail, April 24, 1757. Sarah, May 15, 1763. Joseph,
baptized February 12, 1767. Eunice, daughter of Daniel Mallory,
Jr., and his wife Rachel, was baptized September 5, 1779.
Samuel and Charles Mallory were born April 6, 1780. The names
of the parents are not given. Charles Mallory was the father
of Stephen Mallory, United States Senator from Florida, and
later Secretary of ther Confederate Navy.
Meade, the first of the name in Redding, appears as early
as 1755. He married Rachel Sanford, daughter of Ephraim Sanford.
Their children were: Jeremiah, born March 22, 1752. Ezra,
baptized January 19, 1755. Hannah, baptized May 9, 1756. Esther,
baptized August 17, 1760. Thaddeus, baptized October 25, 1761.
Stephen, baptized January 24, 1768. Stephen Meade is called
Lieutenant and Captain in the records. He was a man quite
prominent in town affairs; was elected the first clerk of
the town at its organization in 1767, and held other important
offices. He lived in the centre, on the site of the present
residence of Thomas Sanford.
Meeker and wife were admitted church-members June 4, 1747.
She was Catherine Burr. They were married July 20, 1745. Their
children were: Witely, baptized June 7, 1747. Esther and Eunice,
baptized August 13, 1755. Azariah, baptized February 5, 1769.
Daniel Meeker married Sarah Johnson, July 10, 1744. Their
children were: Elnathan baptized July 26, 1747. Jared, baptized
January 29, 1749. Rebecca, baptized January 20, 1751. Lois,
baptized March 28, 1753. Josiah, baptized July 17, 1757.
the same time appear David Meeker and Robert Meeker. The former
married Hannah Hill October 31, 1744. The latter Rebecca Morehouse,
September 19, 1746. I find no record of children. Joseph Meeker
appears as early as May 4, 1735, when his son Isaac was baptized.
Merchant married Elinor Chauncey (probably of Fairfield),
December 9, 1747. Their children were: Amelia, baptized February
5, 1749. Chauncey, February 25, 1753. John, baptized August
31, 1755. Elinor, January 8, 1758. Gurdon, March 16, 1760.
Joel, June 6, 1762. Phebe, May 20, 1764. Silas, May 8, 1766.
Gurdon Merchant was the first town treasurer, and held other
offices of trust. The family figures quite prominently in
the later history of the town.
Morehouse and wife were admitted memebers of the church May
8, 1737, on recommendation of Rev. Mr. Hobart, of Fairfield.
Also, Jonathan Morehouse, July 5, 1741. I find no children
of Gershom Morehouse recorded in Redding. The Gershom Morehouse
who married Anna Sanford January 18, 1748, was probably his
son. The children of the seconf Gershom Morehouse were: Ezra,
baptized April 28, 1754. Billie, baptized July 18, 1756, Aaron,
baptized June 4, 1758. Jane, baptized November 4, 1760. Ann,
baptized June 19, 1764. Hill, baptized May 5, 1765. Lucy,
baptized July 12, 1767. Betty, baptized August 6, 1769. Elizabeth
Ruth, baptized November 10, 1771. Polly, baptized May 15,
1774 (may have died). Polly, baptized May 15, 1777.
children of Jonathan Morehouse were: Joanna and Mary, baptized
April 13, 1738. Hannah, baptized June 3, 1739. Elijah, baptized
March 11, 1742. Phebe, baptized May 27, 1744. Ruth, baptized
June 14, 1747.
Perry removed to Redding, probably from Stratford, in 1735,
in which year he was admitted church-member. His children
were: John, baptized May 10, 1741. Ebenezer, baptized June
Perry, son of Joseph Perry and Deborah Burr, of Fairfield,
removed to Redding about 1770, and settled in the south-western
part of the town. He married, first, Mary, daughter of Peter
Sturgis, of Fairfield, and second, Sarah Wilson. His children,
all by the second wife, were: Grissel, born February 10, 1745-6.
Daniel, born April 15, 1747. John, born December 30, 1748.
Deborah, born October 8, 1750. George, born November 26, 1752.
Isaac, born November 3, 1754. Thomas, born February 21, 1757.
Of the sons, two at least, Daniel and John, settled in Redding.
Daniel married, February 19, 1772, Elizabeth Gorham, of Greenfield.
His children were: Timothy, baptized January 10, 1773. Isaac,
baptized August 23, 1778.
Platt was admitted a church-member May 10, 1741, on recommendation
of Rev. Mr. Chapman. But one child is found-Abigail, baptized
April 8, 1736; married Nathaniel Hull May 28, 1754 (Nathaniel
and Abigail Hull had moved to Ulster Co., NY by the time of
the Revolutionary War where Nathaniel was in the 3rd and 4th
Regiments of the Ulster Co. Militia). He was probably father
of the Timothy Platt who married the sister of John R. Hill,
and settled in Lonetown, on the farm now owned by Henry Adams.
Obadiah Platt, who appears in Redding as early as 1737, and
Jonas Platt, who with his wife Elizabeth were admitted church-members
February 5, 1749, were probably his brothers. Timothy Platt
died December 5, 1769, aged sixty-two years. The children
of Obadiah Platt were: Mary, baptized February 20, 1737. Elizabeth,
May 15, 1739.
Platt married Elizabeth Sanford, October 17, 1747. Their children
were: John, baptized February 5, 1752. Daniel, August 11,
1754. Eunice, May 30, 1756. He removed to New York.
Platt appears in Redding as early as April 4, 1762, when his
son Justus was baptized. His other children recorded were:
Hezekiah, January 16, 1764. William, May 18, 1766. Griswold,
December 1, 1767. Robert, September 1, 1771.
John Read, perhaps the earliest settler of Redding, was one
of the most eminent men of his day. He was born in Connecticut
in 1680, graduated from Harvard College in 1697, studied for
the ministry, and preached for some time at Waterbury, Hartford,
and Stratford. He afterward studied law, and was admitted
an attorney at the bar in 1708, and in 1712 was appointed
Queen's attorney for the colony. In 1714 he bought of the
Indians a large tract of land in Lonetown and settled there.
He continued to reside in Redding until 1722, when he removed
to Boston, and soon became known as the most eminent lawyer
in the colonies. He was Attorney-General of Massachusetts
for several years, and also a member of the Governor and Council.
died in February, 1749, leaving a large estate. His wife was
Ruth Talcott, daughter of Lieutenant-Colonel John Talcott,
of Hartford, and sister of Governor Joseph Talcott. They had
six children: Ruth, born (probably) in Hartford in 1700; died
in Redding, August 8, 1766. She was the wife of Rev. Nathaniel
Hunn, first pastor of the church in Redding. They were married
September 14, 1737. John, born in Hartford in 1701; lived
in Redding at the "Lonetown Manor" and was a leading
man in his day in the colony; was much in public life, both
civil and military, and was noted for his public spirit, patriotism,
and piety. He married twice. His first wife was Mary (last
nme unknown), a Milford lady. His second wife was Sarah Bradley,
of Greenfield Hill. His children were: William, who married
Sarah Hawley, of Redding. Zalmon, who married Hulda Bradley,
of Greenfield. Hezekiah, who married Anna Gorham. John, who
married Zoa Hillard. Mary, wife of John Harpin. Sarah, wife
of Jabez Hill, and afterward of Theodore Monson. Ruth, wife
of Jeremiah Mead. Deborah, wife of Thomas Benedict, a lawyer.
Mabel, wife of Levi Starr; and Esther, wife of Daniel C. Bartlett,
son of Rev. Nathaniel Bartlett. One of his children, a lad
of four years, fell into a burning coal pit in 1739, and was
so badly burned that he survived but a few hours. His father
wrote a letter to his father in Boston, informing him of the
meloncholy event, and his father sent back a letter in reply.
Both of the letters are yet preserved, after a period of one
hundred and forty years, and are both remarkable for the piety
and Christian resignation manifested in them.
born in Connecticut about 1710, was a lawyer in Boston, and
afterward a judge in several of the courts there. He lived
a bachelor, and died in 1780, aged seventy-years. Mary, born
(probably) in Reading, Conn., April 14, 1716; married Captain
Charles Morris, of Boston, afterward of Halifax, Nova Scotia,
where he was for many years chief justice of the courts. They
had nine sons and two daughters. Abigail married Joseph Miller,
of Boston. Deborah married a Mr. Willstead, and afterward
Henry Paget, of Smithfield, Rhode Island.
the above sketch by Mr. George Read, of Boston, I will add
that Colonel John Read, son of the Mr. John Read mentioned,
appears as one of the original members of the first society
in 1729, and was the Colonel John Read so often referred to
in the town records. His "manour" comprised nearly
all of what is now Lonetown, and his manor-house stood on
the exact site of Mr. Aaron Treadwell's present residence.
He had a fenced park, in which he kept deer, nearly opposite
the present residence of William Sherwood.
George Read, of Redding Centre, has a very interesting collection
of old papers belonging to the colonel, such as wills, deeds,
account-books, etc... In one of them directions are given
his men about feeding the deer, letting the cattle into the
long meadow, etc... Another is Mr. Read's commission as colonel,
and is of sufficient interest to warrrant its insertion here.
It is as follows:
Fitch Esq., Governor and Commander in chief of his Majesty's
Colony of Connecticut in New England.
John Read Esq., Greetings.
Whereas you are appointed by the General Assembly of said
Colony to be Colonel of the fourth Regiment of Horse in said
Colony. Reposing special trust and confidence in your Loyalty,
courage, and good conduct, I do by these presents constitute
and appoint you to be Colonel of said Regiment. You are therefore
to take the said Regiment into your care and charge as their
Colonel, and carefully and dilligently to discharge that care
and trust in ordering and exercising of them, both officers
and soldiers in arms according to the rules and discipline
of war, keeping them in good order and government, and commanding
them to obey you as their colonel for his Majesty's service,
and they are to conduct and lead forth the said Regiment,
or such part of them as you shall from time to time receive
orders for from me, or from the Governor of this Colony for
the time being, to encounter, repel, pursue, and destroy by
force of arms, and by all fitting ways and means, all his
Majesty's Enemies who shall at any time hereafter in a Hostile
manner, attempt or enterprise the invasion, detriment, or
annoyance of this Colony. And you are to observe and obey
such Orders and Instructions as from time to time you from
me, or other your Superior Officiers, pursuant to the trust
hereby reposed in you and the laws of this Colony. Given under
my hand and the seal of this Colony, in New Haven, the 3rd
Day of November, in the 31st year of the Reign of our Sovereign
Lord George the Second, King of Great Britain and Annoque
his Honour's Command.
George Wyllys. Secty.
Rogers was a prominent man in his day, and filled many responsible
offices in town. He appears as early as 1762. His children
were: Joseph, born October 31, 1762. Chloe, born October 24,
1766. James, born April 28, 1768. Haron, born August 22, 1770.
Rumsey appears in Redding as early as 1747. His will, dated
December 27, 1754, mentions his wife, Sarah, and children:
Isaac, Sarah, Joseph, Daniel, William, and Ephraim.
will of Daniel Rumsey, of Redding, probated March 10, 1761,
mentions his father Robert, brother John Rumsey and Seth Hull.
Rumsey settled in Redding. His children by wife Esther were:
Abigail, baptized February 19, 1751. Rachel, baptized February
25, 1753. Mary, June 5, 1755. Nathan, August 8, 1756. David,
January 28, 1759. Mary, June 15, 1761. Esther, May 13, 1764.
Eben, February 4, 1768. Isaac Rumsey married Abigail St. John,
May 23, 1761. Children were: Abigail, born December 25, 1761.
Jeremiah, born May 23, 1762. Ruth, December 29, 1763. Noah,
born March 28, 1768.
Sanford family is one of the oldest and most numerous in the
town, having been founded by four
persons of the name, who removed here from Fairfield when
the country was first opened to settlers. The names of these
four settlers were: Nathaniel, Lemuel, Samuel, and Ephraim.
first two were original members of the church; the last two
joined it during the first year of its existence, viz., in
1734. According to Savage, Ephraim Sanford, who settled in
Milford, and married Mary Powell, of New Haven, in 1669, had
children, Mary, Samuel, Ephraim, Thomas, Nathaniel, and Zacariah.
Samuel, Ephraim, and Nathaniel, are no doubt identical with
those who settle in Redding, as they were elderly men with
families when they removed here.
to the above mentioned authority, Ezekiel, eldest son of the
above Thomas Sanford, was freeman in 1669 and died in 1683,
leaving a widow, Rebecca and children, Ezekiel, Thomas, Sarah,
Mary, Rebecca, Martha, and Elizabeth. Ezekieh, eldest son,
was an English engineer, and had charge of the erection of
the stockade fort at Saybrook at the mouth of the Connecticut
River, for protection against Indians. He afterward removed
to Fairfield, and built the first grist mill in the county,
at Mill River, for which he received a large grant of land
from the English Government. In his will dated January 29,
1729, mentions two sons, Lemuel and Ezekiel. Lemuel settled
in Redding, as above stated. Thomas Sanford, father of Ezekiel
and Ephraim, was the first of the name in America.
shall trace the families of these ancestors in Redding in
the order of their arrival here. Nathaniel Sanford
settled in Umpawaug. His children recorded were: Abel H.,
baptized March 25, 1733. Ruth, baptized May 12, 1737. Esther,
baptized May 27, 1744. I have no futher record of this family.
Sanford settled in the centre. He was one of
the first committee men in the society, and prominent in public
affairs. He married (First name unknown) Squire, of Fairfield.
Their children were: Hezekiah, probably born in Fairfield.
Sarah, baptized September 19, 1734. Anne, baptized November
1, 1736. Lydia, baptized June 4, 1738. Lemuel, baptized April
20, 1740. Ezekiel, baptized July 4, 1742. Anne, baptized October
7, 1744. Roda, baptized February 26, 1749.
Hezekiah married Hannah (last name unknown), and settled in
the centre, on the farm now owned by Mr. Delavan. His children
were: Aaron, baptized May 29, 1757. Hannah, baptized August
26, 1759. William, baptized October 14, 1764. Eunice, baptized
June 7, 1772. Huldah, baptized May 18, 1777.
Aaron, his eldest son, settled in the centre, and lived in
the house now owned by Mrs. Connors. He was the first male
member of the Methodist Church in New England, and was the
leader of the little class organized in Redding in 1790.
The Methodist preachers in their rounds always found a home
with him, and often held their meetings in his house. Later
in life he became an acceptable local preacher in that church.
He married Lydia Hawley, daughter of William Hawley, November
2, 1780. Their children were: Betsey, born October 5, 1781.
Hannah, born May 31, 1784. Aaron, born July 8, 1786. Hawley,
born July 16, 1789. Jesse Lee, born July 27, 1791. Eunice,
born August 10, 1793. Walter, born February 18, 1796. Charlotte,
born January 8, 1800. Lydia, born September 23, 1803. William
A., born January 15, 1807.
Aaron Sanford, Jr., settled on Redding Ridge, in the eastern
part of the town. He married, December 19, 1813, Fanny Hill,
daughter of Andrew L. Hill. Their children were eleven in
number: Andrew H., Daniel, Mary, Clara, Henry, Aaron, Fanny,
Jesse L., Mary, Elizabeth, John, and Julia H.
Hawley, the second son, married Betsey Stow, November 2, 1814,
by whom he had two children, Russell and Betsey. On the death
of his wife he married, second, Sarah Ketchum, November 20,
1823. The children of this marriage were: Francis A., Aaron
K., Hawley, Lydia, David, Morris, and Mary. Walter, the third
son, married December 6, 1821, Harriet M. Booth. They had
one son, Charles. Walter Sanford married, second, Emily Gorham.
William Sanford, the fourth son, married Harriet Tuttle, May
2, 1832. Of the daughters, Betsy married John R. Hill. Hannah
married the Rev. Aaron Hunt, a Methodist clergyman, celebrated
in his day as being the first to successfully contest the
old colonial law which forbade all ministers except those
of the "Standing Order" to perform the marriage
ceremony. Mr. Hunt was at one time located and resided for
several years in Redding. Charlotte married Thomas B. Fanton.
Lydia married Aaron Sanford Hyatt.
Lemuel Sanford, second son of Lemuel Sanford, settled in the
centre, near his father. He married, September 20, 1768, Mary
Russell, of North Branford, Conn. The circumstances attending
his marriage thus narrated: He left Redding on horseback,
early in the morning of his wedding day, but was delayed on
the road and did not reach Branford until midnight. By that
time the wedding guests had dispersed and the family
had retired; but he roused them up, collected the guests,
and the ceremony was performed. The next day bride and groom
returned to Redding, traveling on horseback. The children
of Lemuel and Mary Sanford were: Lemuel, born July 18, 1769.
Roda, born March 4, 1773. Mary, born May 18, 1776; married
Dr. Thomas Peck. Abigail, born 1779; died in infancy. Jonathan
R., born February 11, 1782. Abigail, born April 18, 1784.
Lucretia, born May 4, 1786.
Mr. Lemuel Sanford died March 12, 1803, at Danbury, in the
performance of his duties as Judge of the County Court, leaving
most honorable record. He had filled all the positions of
honor and trust in his native town, and during the Revolution
had been a member of the Committee of Supply, the duties of
which kept him absent in Danbury and Fairfield nearly the
whole period of the war. He several times represented the
town in the General Assembly, and also held the office of
Associate Judge of the County Court.
Lemuel Sanford, eldest son of Judge Sanford, after being educated
at President Dwight's famous academy on Greedfield Hill, returned
to Redding, married Mary Heron, daughter of Squire Heron,
and settled in the centre, on a farm now owned by Albert Gorham.
He was a man of much ability, and quite prominent in town
affairs. He had but two children, Mary and Abigail.
Jonathan R., the second son, married Maria, daughter of Dr.
Thomas Davies, October 17, 1808. Their children were: Amanda,
Maria (who died in infancy), Lemuel, Jonathan R., and Thomas.
Mr. Jonathan Sanford died August 20, 1858. In1808 Mr. Sanford
was appointed town clerk and treasurer, and held those offices
until his death, a period of half a century. He also filled
the office of Judge of Probate for several years, besides
representing his native town at different periods in the State
Ezekiel, third son of Lemuel Sanford the first, married Abigail
Starr November 21, 1773, and settled in Boston district, in
the Western part of town. His children were: Mollie, baptized
December 18, 1774. Rebecca, baptized April 24, 1777. Ezekiel,
baptized November 1, 1778. Abigail, baptized March 19, 1780;
perhaps others. He is called Captain in the old records. Some
of his descendants are now living in Amenia, N.Y.
Sanford the first, settled in Umpawaug. He is
called Captain in the records. His children were: Daniel,
baptized April 22, 1734. Seth, baptized August 23, 1735. Mary,
March 19, 1738. David, December 2, 1739. Abigail, January
30, 1743. Samuel, May 5, 1739. Sarah, May 10, 1747. Esther,
April 16, 1749. Ezra, March 25, 1751. Rachel, Febraury 25,
1753. Captain Samuel Sanford died November 6, 1768, aged sixty-two
Daniel married Esther Hull April 18, 1758. Children: Eli,
baptized August 16, 1761. Chloe, July 5, 1767. Seth married
Rebecca, daughter of Deacon Stephen Burr, April 25, 1759.
Her children, as named in Deacon Burr's will, 1776, were:
Elias, Ebenezer, Joel, Elijah, Samuel, and Seth. Mary married
Timothy Sanford, son of Joseph. Abigail, married John Hawley
December 21, 1762. Samuel, Jr. married Sarah Olmstead July
23, 1767. His children recorded were: Uriah, baptized February
14, 1768. Thomas, December 17, 1769. Peter married Abigail
Keeler June 1, 1780.
Sanford the first, settled Sanfordtown, and
was a large land owner there, as is shown by several deeds
now in the possession of his descendants, some of which date
back as far as 1733. His children by his wife Elizabeth Mix,
according to the parish record, were: Rachel, baptized July
29, 1733. Abigail, baptized May 18, 1735. John, baptized April
29, 1739. Oliver, September 20, 1741. Lois, September 17,
1743. Huldah, May 5, 1748. Augustus, July 15, 1753. Esther,
April 27, 1755. His will, dated January 30, 1761, mentions
also Ephraim, Elizabeth, and Tabitha. Ephraim Sanford, according
to the family tradition, was the first man having a store
of goods in Redding. His goods were brought from Boston. Of
his children, Abigail married Daniel Jackson October 2, 1755.
John married and settled in the Foundry district, in Redding.
His children were: James, Stephen, Ephraim, John, Eli, Huldah,
Lois, Betty, Elizabeth, and Annie. James, the eldest son,
settled in the Foundry district, near his father. He was a
teamster in the Revolutionary army, and was present at the
execution of Jones and Smith on Gallows Hill. He married Sarah,
daughter of John Beach, the faithful missionary of the Church
of England. He was the father of Squire James Sanford. John,
Jr. the fourth son of John Sanford, settled in Redding, and
was the father of John W. Sanford, a well known citizen.
Oliver Sanford, son of Ephraim, married in April 1767, Rachel,
daughter of Deacon David Coley, of Weston. Their children
were: Mary, baptized July 31, 1768. David, August 20, 1769.
Ephraim, September 15, 1771. Abigail, May 29, 1774. Enoch
A., April 28, 1776. Levi, December 14, 1777. Oliver C., Abigail,
Mary, Betsey, and Lorraine.
daughter of Samuel Smith, of Redding, was baptized July 6,
1740; and Seth Samuel, son of Samuel and Lydia Smith, September
28, 1760. The latter was the first lawyer who located in Redding.
He had an office in the centre, where also he kept a select
school. He was town clerk for a term of years, and wrote a
most elegant hand, as will be remembered by those familar
with the records of his times. He also filled many other important
positions in the town. He married Huldah (last name unknown).
Their children were: Zalmon, baptized February 3, 1780.
Stow, the first of the name in Redding, settled in Lonetown,
on the farm now owned by his grandson, Sumner Stowe. He married
Anne Darrow, January 26, 1775. Their children were: Daniel,
born July 4, 1779. Abigail, born April 11, 1776; married Israel
Adams. Sarah, born October 4, 1777. Sarah, born August 11,
1781. Sumner, born September 17, 1783. Huldah, born Febraury
6, 1787; married Andrew Andrus, of Danbury. Abraham, born
March 4, 1792. Polly, born September 20, 1794; married Moses
Parsons, of Newtown. Robert Stow died November 5, 1795. Daniel
Stow married Lucy Hoyt, of Bethel, and settled in Redding,
near his father. His children were: Robert, Almira, Sarah,
Harriet, Lucy, Sumner, Mary, and Polly. Abraham settled in
Bethel. Sumner died when a young man.
settlers in the town at an early date, but who do not appear
to have been permanent residents, were: Daniel Bradley, Thomas
Williams, Thomas and William Squire (of Fairfield), Ebenezer
Ferry, George Cowden, Nathaniel Booth, Edmund Sherman, Jonathan
Squire, John Whitlock, John Truesdale, Frederick Dikeman,
and John Nott.
families of Byington, Chapman, Hamilton, Knapp, Osbourne,
Dennison, Bennett, St. John, Gilbert, Johnson, Abbott, Duncomb,
Edmonds, Olmstead, Rider, Treadwell, and Todd figure in the
later records of the town.
Gravestones of Redding
and Immigration Documents
to TOP | Back to Redding
Section | Back to Georgetown